She wrote poetry and short stories in high school and college, until 1993 when her mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. After her mother's death in 1998, deep in depression, she found herself unable to write. Nine years passed, and only on rare occasion did she attempt to write. Finally in 2007, under the urging of friends, she sat down and pecked out her first novel. It was raw and unpolished, but the process had been unquestionably cathartic.
The next three years were spent filling her hard drive with seven complete manuscripts. At the beginning of 2011, Monique decided it was time to edit the work and share it with the world. She hopes you enjoy the ramblings of a truly southern girl raised in a state rich with heritage and love.
In June of 2011 her first book, The Keepers, was published by Astraea Press and it has been a world wind of excitement ever since. Please check out her website and feel free to contact her at any time via her email, facebook, or twitter.
Thank you so much for having me on your blog today! We are all influenced by the things that surround us every day. I thought I’d share with you 8 parts of me and my personality that show up in my writing!
1. I married and am still in love with my high school sweetheart – Most of the heroes in my novels are extremely loving and protective of the heroines.
2. I lost my mother to breast cancer - I’m always trying to bring back the dead in my books!
3. I love muscle cars – there is one in almost every story.
4. I adore all things Louisiana – My settings become almost like another character because of my passion for the state.
5. I’ve had nightmares since I was a child – a lot of my characters work through their problems in their dreams.
6. I have migraines – I’ve noticed many of my characters do too!
7. I’m always for the underdog – most of my characters are flawed, but there is something redeeming even about my villains (except for in Becoming Jolie, perhaps!)
8. I love music – there is usually a shout out to a band I like in each book.
Its fun to analyze our favorite writer’s personalities based on what they write. If you notice any other themes in my writing let me know!
Monique O’Connor James
Thank you again for stopping by!